Wednesday, June 12, 2013

MY FAMOUS MONSTERS 1


I know I promised postings of vintage detective/true crime magazines from my collection but I've decided to put that project on hold for the moment and instead post images of my all-time favorite magazine: FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. I hope to post a long piece in the future about my relationship with this magazine and it's longtime editor Forrest J. Ackerman. In a way, it's the story of every "monster kid" that ever lived. But it's my story and I want to tell it. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, feast your eyes on this beauty, issue #23 from June 1963. This is the oldest issue of FM that I currently own and it's a great one. The cover image is, of course, from WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST and the featured articles include an unusual Frankenstein photo, the final chapter of the SON OF KONG Filmbook (remember those?) and an interview with the one-and-only Boris Karloff. Great stuff!

I never owned this issue of FM when I was a kid. It was published before I became a regular reader. I bought this one many years after the fact and I'm proud to own it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment