Thursday, July 11, 2013

MORE MOVIE MALARKEY


And now, for your consideration, numbers eleven through twenty of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY'S list of 100 Greatest Movies. (See yesterday's post for numbers one through ten.)

11. KING KONG (1933). No argument there. The original KONG is certainly a movie milestone, one of the greatest monster movies ever made and one of my all-time favorite films.

12. THE SEARCHERS (1956). I know I'm in the minority here but I just don't think that THE SEARCHERS is all that great a film. It's a fine movie, no doubt, but I feel it's somewhat overrated. I'd rank Ford's THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962) as the superior film and the best work of Ford's career in my estimation.

13. ANNIE HALL (1977). I watched this one again not long ago and it still holds up. A very good film but  I'd rank Allen's MANHATTAN (1979) ahead of it.

14. BAMBI (1942). No. I don't care if you always cry whenever you watch BAMBI, if you're going to have a full-length animated Disney feature on this list at all it should be SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1938), PINOCCHIO (1940) or FANTASIA (1940).

15. BLUE VELVET (1986). No films by David Lynch are allowed on any greatest films list. None.

16. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952). Perhaps the greatest movie musical ever made and in many estimations deserving of a spot in the top ten. I'm not much of a fan of musicals but I do recognize that SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is a very, very good film.

17. SEVEN SAMURAI (1954). Akira Kurosawa's magnificent epic deserves a seat at the big kids' table. Definitely a top ten film.

18. JAWS (1975). No argument here.

19. PULP FICTION (1994). Mr. Tarantino, would you please join Mr. Lynch out in the hall? You're disrupting our film history class. Remember, no QT films on a greatest films list. None.

20. THE SORROW AND THE PITY (1969). I've never seen this film but I know Woody Allen loves it. Does it deserve this high a ranking considering what other classic films have thus far been omitted from EW's list? I don't think so.

More to come tomorrow. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment