Thursday, July 12, 2012

SUPER ROPER


I've been listening the newly reborn KOKE-FM 99.3 for the last several mornings. The station began re-broadcasting this past Sunday with a morning gospel music program. So far, the shows have been more than a little bit rough around the edges but it's clearly a labor of love for all involved and I'm sure that things will smooth out over time.

It's great to hear Bob Cole, Troy Kimmel, Eric Raines and Jason Nassour back on the air. Listening to those guys (and the much missed Sammy Allred), when they were on KVET-FM, was a daily routine for me for many years. I was driving to work and listening one morning when I heard Sammy seal his doom with a rather unfortunate remark to a listener. I knew then and there that he would soon be gone from the KVET morning show broadcast.

I kept listening even though Sammy's replacement, Bucky Godbolt, brought little to the show. He seemed like a nice guy but so was Bob Cole and listening to two nice guys be nice was kinda dull and boring. I missed the spit and vinegar of Allred.

Over time it became apparent that the powers that be at KVET (parent company Clear Channel Communications), wanted more music (from a rigidly defined play list) and less talk on what was Austin radio's highest rated morning talk show. When that happened, I reluctantly turned my dial from KVET (after listening for almost 20 years) and searched for other morning radio fare.

I'm glad the guys are back and that the old KOKE-FM tradition of playing classic country music, along with the best of the new stuff is being revived and honored. Rumor has it that Tom Allen will return to Saturday mornings with his much missed "Country Gold" program. I can't wait.

If you like the good ol' stuff, music by the likes of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Asleep at the Wheel, Bob Wills, Jerry Jeff Walker, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and others, tune in and check it out.

And if the guys will re-hire my wife's cousin Earl as their "Girl Friday", the station will be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment