Tuesday, August 30, 2016

"ADMIRAL NELSON, WE'VE FOUND THAT MISSING FLYING SUB"


The other day, I re-read SUB-MARINER #16, published by Marvel Comics in August, 1969. I was thirteen-years-old when I read this for the first time. I enjoy going through my long boxes and re-visiting some of these old comic book friends. It's a real blast from the past and I get much more enjoyment out of  a nearly 50 year old comic book than I do from much of what's currently published. The story, THE SEA THAT TIME FORGOT is a good one. It's by the team of Roy Thomas (my all-time favorite comic book writer), Marie Severin and Joe Gaudioso. Check out that Atlantean craft depicted in the left and middle panels above. Look familiar?

Of course, it's the fabled Flying Sub from the ABC-TV series VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. Who knew Namor and Admiral Nelson had the same team of designers and engineers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment