Tuesday, January 5, 2016

WHAT IF?


I was watching an old TWILIGHT ZONE episode the other night when I had a bizarre thought. The episode was from the second season. A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS originally aired on February 3rd, 1961. Written by the recently deceased George Clayton Johnson, the episode starred a pre-BEWITCHED Dick York as a bank employee who gains the ability to read people's minds when a coin he tosses lands on its' side.

Here's where my mind took off. THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, the first live-action comic book superhero television series ran from 1952 to 1958. There were no other such shows until January, 1966 (fifty years ago this month!) when BATMAN debuted on ABC. What if some enterprising television producer was seeking to fill the eight year gap between ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN and BATMAN by acquiring the rights to a then dormant comic book character say, oh, Plastic Man? And what if said producer decided to cast York in the lead role?




That's right folks. I think Dick York would have made a perfect lead for a 1960s PLASTIC MAN television show. And what about this guy, his lovable sidekick Woozy Winks?



You know who would have made a good Woozy? 




Former third Stooge Joe Besser.

There you have it. My dream cast for a never realized 1960s PLASTIC MAN television show. Of course, I have no idea how the special effects would have been handled. I'm sure they would have thought of something cheap and crappy but I still think it would have been fun to watch York and Besser every week.

Whaddaya think?


No comments:

Post a Comment