Tuesday, March 25, 2014

MeTV

Recently, after many years of being a Time Warner customer for phone, Internet and cable television, Judy and I switched providers and went with AT&T U-Verse. Our reasons were many.

First, we had a terrible Internet connection.The Internet would be on, then it would be off. We'd have bars, then we wouldn't or we'd have only a couple of bars. That little bar icon thingy at the bottom of your computer screen? It was never full. The Internet connection was slow and "sticky" and you had to wait for pages to load. When the connection would drop out, I'd often holler to Judy downstairs and ask her to please jiggle the modem. By the way, Jiggle the Modem will be headlining at next year's South By So What.

We were paying in the neighborhood of $200 a month for this crappy service and then one night, our cable box decided to die without any warning. We still had phone and Internet service and basic cable on the bedroom television but the box that provided a signal to our HD-TV went on the fritz and stayed that way.

So far, we're quite pleased with AT&T U-Verse. I have full bars, the Internet connection is fast, smooth and uninterrupted and we have a multitude of television channels to watch, among them a channel that we didn't previously have with Time Warner: MeTV, Memorable Entertainment Television.

I'm a child of the sixties and seventies. The television shows of that era are what I grew up watching and loving. MeTV provides nothing but classic television shows twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. It's a lot like TV Land was when it first debuted years ago but better.

I've been going a little bit crazy recording shows to watch and I know I'll never get around to all of them but here's a rundown of some of the stuff we've watched (and enjoyed) over the last couple of weeks.

We started with one of those two-hour made-for-television Perry Mason "movies" starring the venerable Raymond Burr as Mason with Barbara Hale as the stalwart Della Street and William Katt (Hale's real-life son), as Paul Drake, Jr.

Since then we've seen episodes of THE ODD COUPLE (great), GET SMART (Don Adams always makes me laugh and Barbara Feldon was hot),  FAMILY AFFAIR (I can't believe I used to like this pablum but I watched every week, mainly because I had a crush on Cathy (Cissy) Garver), PETTICOAT JUNCTION (there's Uncle Joe...), and MY THREE SONS (a Saturday night staple).

I've recorded and watched two two-part BATMAN episodes, one starring Art Carney (!) as The Archer, the other with Julie Newmar (oh, yeah) as Catwoman. I loved this show when I was a kid and I still get a kick out of it. And I've watched several episodes of WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE with Steve McQueen as bounty hunter Josh Randall. I barely remember this show from my childhood (it ran from 1958 to 1961, the years I went from two to five years old) but Steve McQueen has always been one of my favorite actors and I've enjoyed every episode I've seen thus far. Any television western that has Warren Oates as a guest star is a winner in my book.

MeTV is my new favorite television channel. Thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment