Friday, July 12, 2013

WAIT, WHAT?


Continuing my breakdown of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY's list of 100 greatest movies, here are numbers twenty-one through thirty.

21. SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959). Perhaps the funniest movie ever made, Billy Wilder's classic comedy is certainly worthy of being on this list. But it's the first Wilder film to appear here and I believe that SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950) deserves to be on this list before HOT.

22. TOY STORY (1995). No. Go back to my first post on this list and see my number one rule. No films made in the 21st century and very few films from the '80s and '90s should be on such a list at this time. While I recognize that TOY STORY was certainly a groundbreaking film, it simply shouldn't be on this list. Besides, THE INCREDIBLES was a better movie in my opinion.

23. NOTORIOUS (1946). The second Hitchcock thriller to appear here. NOTORIOUS is a very good film but to rank it and PSYCHO ahead of VERTIGO just doesn't seem right.

24. THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965). Okay. As I've said before, I'm not much of a fan of movie musicals but I'll admit this one's a classic.

25. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968). Stanley Kubrick's monumental landmark of a film is worthy of one of those seats at the big kids' table. A top ten choice in my opinion.

26. BICYCLE THIEVES (1948). No. I saw this film in college and was underwhelmed. I think the whole Italian Neo-Realism cycle of films is overrated.

27. THE MALTESE FALCON (1941). A very, very good film, one I've seen many times. It is widely regarded as the first film noir and John Huston does a great job in his directorial debut. But his THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948) is far and away his best film.

28. THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939). Everyone's favorite childhood film should be in the top ten.

29. NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959). Hitchcock's most flat-out entertaining film is one of my all-time favorites but still, where's VERTIGO on this list?

30. SUNRISE (1927). A silent classic that I've never seen but if you want a truly brilliant silent film for this place on the list may I humbly suggest Fritz Lang's breathtaking METROPOLIS (1926). I haven't seen it as many times as Forry Ackerman did but it's gotten better each time I have seen it thanks to recent restorations of previously lost footage.

More to come. Stay tuned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment