Tuesday, July 30, 2013

PACIFIC RIM

 I've been meaning to post something about PACIFIC RIM (which I saw on opening day) here, but that top 100 film list business got in the way.

I went into this film with almost no (or least, extremely low) expectations. Contrary to many of the other films I've seen recently, PACIFIC RIM is not based on any other pre-existing property. There's not a PACIFIC RIM comic book (although there probably will be one soon), no old television show, no animated series, no line of toys, no previous film franchise in need of a reboot.

But that's not to say that PACIFIC RIM was an entirely fresh, new and original idea. After all, it's premise is simple and exciting on a very basic, primal level: giant robots vs. giant monsters. Granted, both the giant robot and giant monster sub-genres have been around for many years and in many forms but this is the first and best mash-up of those two wonderfully exhilarating movie genres.

PACIFIC RIM has deafening sound effects (this may be one of the loudest movies I've ever heard!), state-of-the-art CGI effects (the scale is finally right for these immense beings), and spectacular knock-down, rock'em-sock'em battles. The characters and plot are wafer thin, the film has far too many war movie cliches and it's hard to tell exactly what's going on in some of the action sequences. But you know what?

I didn't care. When those giant robots and giant monsters started whaling the tar out of each other I felt like a giddy ten-year-old kid again, watching a Godzilla movie at a Saturday afternoon matinee. I had a big, goofy smile on my face while watching PACIFIC RIM and despite the fact that the film underperformed at the box-office, I loved every gosh-wow minute of it. It's a B-movie jacked up on sugar and steroids with everything turned up to 11.

PACIFIC RIM is, wait for it, enormously entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment